The Stege Sanitary District is a District of Distinction through the Special District Leadership Foundation. On July 15, 2009, Stege Sanitary District became a District of Distinction though the Special District Leadership Foundation. The District of Distinction accreditation is one of the most prestigious local government awards in the state of California. This award clearly validates the District's commitment to good governance and to ethical and sound operating practices.
As of 2022, The District is one of only 37 special districts with this distinction, out of over 3,400 special districts in the state of California.Stege Sanitary District - District of Distinction.pdfPress Release - District of Distinction .pdf
Why Did Stege Sanitary DISTRICT Strive to Become a District of Distinction?
Stege Sanitary District pursued this recognition to demonstrate to our rate payers that we are committed to the highest levels of public governance, and that we:
- Understand and respect the responsibilities inherent in providing essential public services.
- Have clean financial audits and operate in a fiscally responsible and transparent manner.
- Are conscious of the ever-changing operating environment by having current and relevant policies and procedures in place that conform to all statutes and regulations under state law.
- Place an emphasis on continuing education completed by having each of the district’s board members and executive staff in ethics, governance and leadership training.
- Focus on having sound policies in the areas of governance, board conduct, district finances, transparency and reserves.