District Transparency Certificate of Excellence
On May 3, 2013 Stege Sanitary District was awarded the District Transparency Certificate of Excellence through the Special District Leadership Foundation in recognition of its outstanding efforts to promote transparency and good governance. By completing the District Transparency Certificate of Excellence Program, the Stege Sanitary District has proven its dedication to being fully transparent as well as open and accessible to the public to which it serves.
The Stege Sanitary District is a District of Distinction through the Special District Leadership Foundation. On July 15, 2009, Stege Sanitary District became a District of Distinction though the Special District Leadership Foundation. The District of Distinction accreditation is one of the most prestigious local government awards in the state of California. This award clearly validates Stege's commitment to good governance and to ethical and sound operating practices.
As of 2011, Stege is one of only 16 special districts with this distinction, out of over 3,400 special districts in the state of California.
(Alan Miller, Director at Stege Sanitary District (right),
received the award at the California Special Districts
Association Annual Conference in September 2012.)
Why Did Stege Sanitary Strive to Become a District of Distinction?
Stege Sanitary District pursued this recognition to demonstrate to our rate payers that we are committed to the highest levels of public governance, and that we:
- Understand and respect the responsibilities inherent in providing essential public services.
- Have clean financial audits and operate in a fiscally responsible and transparent manner.
- Are conscious of the ever-changing operating environment by having current and relevant policies and procedures in place that conform to all statutes and regulations under state law.
- Place an emphasis on continuing education completed by having each of the district’s board members and executive staff in ethics, governance and leadership training.
- Focus on having sound policies in the areas of governance, board conduct, district finances, transparency and reserves.
List of District Awards
Stege Sanitary District has a long history of awards and honors due to its commitment to service and excellence.
California Water Environment Association (CWEA)
Collection System of the Year, San Francisco Bay Section (Small, 1-249 miles)
California Sanitation Risk Management Authority (CSRMA)
- Workers Compensation Excellence (19 consecutive years) 1997-2016.
- Safety Superstar, 7 Consecutive Years with no Workers Compensation Claims (Program Years 14-20) 2004-10.
- Loss Control Program of the Year (Program Year 18) 2007-08.
- Safety Superstar (Program Year 14) 2003-04.
- Lowest Claims Frequency Rate (Program Year 13) 2002-03.
- Lowest Claims Severity Rate (Program Year 12) 2001-02.
California Association of Sanitation Agencies (CASA)
- 1999 Innovation Award - Video Inspection Enhancement and Predictive Failure Model